Friday, November 25, 2005

Working for the Weekends

I realize I have been writing in this blog for three months now and have never once spoken about the reason I'm here: work. I suppose this is because work is work and you all likely don't care much about evaluating the long-term impacts on World Centre session participants. But regardless - now that the major project I have been working on here is finally winding up, a comment or two would be nice...

  • Nothing feels better than to have a typically aloof boss state at the outset of your final meeting, "I love it. I love it, I love this report." Yes, I may have travelled halfway across the world to do a job of questionable impact, but in the end, it was not only relevant work but greatly appreciated as well. Phew.
  • I blew (my other boss) Lydia's mind last week by introducing the concept of the TAB key to her, and this afternoon I heard the woman quite literally squeal with joy when she opened the crap-tastic powerpoints I made for her. I love the technological generation gap.
  • NGOs are the same wherever you go. Bureaucracy is the same wherever you go. IT disasters are the same wherever you go.

So that's that on the work front. As I finish my pentultimate week here, it feels good to say that I shall miss it when I leave.

p.s. - my project research is still dodgy these days, but I am hoping to fix that shortly. I've got a plan at least...

p.p.s. - I still despise the Northern Line.

5 Comments:

At 9:52 AM , Blogger Quinn said...

penultimate?

damn.. time flies.

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Aleksandra said...

I know! Well, there are still another 10 days of Poland and fun hanging about/visiting involved once I finish work but basically, I'll be home before you know it!

Then to have the inaugural Quinn-Aleks "non-music and non-student politics" conversation. Get ready!

 
At 12:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful photos aleks...

can't wait till you get home!!

Mags

 
At 11:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aleks!

Can't wait to see you when you're back!

Did you get the package I sent? (I wanted to make sure you got it before you left :)

xo
miss benson

 
At 12:13 AM , Blogger Mike said...

I like the bus photo the best...

I'm currently being schooled in the ways of the technological generation gap by Caitlin and her friends - who knew you could turn the *classes* of your *label legends* on and off? I think they're rolling their eyes at me from across the country...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home