Friday, November 11, 2005

We can go for a walk where it's quiet and dry...

The problem I've found with writing this journal is that in order to write about my adventures, I must take a break from adventuring and process a bit - which inevitably leads to lame introspection. I've since received a few emails from people comforting me on my trials and revelations. But do not worry, people, when I am not sitting here writing, I am happily sucking the life out of my time here. Visits to old friends, visits with new friends, a play here, a football match there, with plenty of walking in between.

In fact, speaking of walking - let's do something fun! One of my favourite things that my friend Karime would do on her blog was photo-essaying a walk around town. So please humour me as I take you on a walk around my neighbourhood, the lovely Belsize Park. (in sepia, mostly, as I was totally in love with my new sepia discovery when I took these pictures...Walk Photo-Essay #2: Hampstead will be in colour, I promise)

Okay, if you're going to come walking around Belsize and Hampstead with me, you're going to need something - the Smiths. I like the Smiths back home, but I love the Smiths here in North London - they were made for each other.
And hey hey, aren't you in luck, because I have some right here! It's a short walk, so a few tracks should do...

Download: William, It was Really Nothing
Download: What Difference Does It Make?
Download: This Charming Man

Okay, Smiths? Check. Camera? Check. And we're off!

(To the right is the best 'let's go!' one-armed bandit shot I could take the other day.)


So, we shall turn out of my residence into the winding streets of autumn-leaf-laden Belsize Park. Old (mostly Victorian) houses with stained glass and turrets, these are the homes to posh families that send their children to the myriad private schools here in Belsize. (Keep your eyes peeled for Tim Burton and Helena Bonham-Carter - apparently they live here, but we've never seen them.) Lyndhurst Gardens is one of many corners with sweet benches that encourage pleasant snacking rests. (CPTED is fortunately only big in Central London...)


Soon enough, Lyndhurst Gardens turns into my favourite street in our neighbourhood - Belsize Crescent.


At the foot of Belsize Crescent is a run-of-the-mill tiny village hub, with a grocer, pub, restaurant...and pet clothing store.
Grab a Ham&High (local newspaper) from the gruff man at the magazine shop.

Continue walking down the hill and stroll along Belsize Gardens Road. Duck off to the left to get a photo of my favourite telephone booth on yet another lovely Georgian crescent.

Okay, we're now at Eton Avenue and it's the sun is setting quickly. So,
quick atmospheric' photo before turning left down England's Lane to grab something for dinner at the Tesco Express, stop in at the knick knack shop to browse and chat with the deliciously crazy man that owns the shop, and take advantage (yet again) of the 3-for-2 wine deal at Threshers. (any 3 bottles of wine - it's insane! How? Why? But I love it!)

The sun sets rather quickly these days, and we emerge from Threshers into darkness. Which calls out another of my favourite strolling sights - the crossing lights. Anyway, back home we go to make dinner and enjoy a quiet night in lovely Hampstead.




2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM , Blogger K said...

Lovely! I should photo illustrate my next walk... so I don't lose practice ;)

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Aleksandra said...

Karime - yes!! I want to see what this neighbourhood of yours looks like, see if it's anything like I have in my mind!!

Naf - no, I haven't seen this suspicious market you speak of. I'm pretty sure they got rid of that riff-raff years ago...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home