Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Another typical evening in London

Last night: I needed to get some things from Marks & Spencer's, so I left for the nearest one in Camden Town. But then thinking, "aren't Christmas hours on by now?" (and "I really don't want to do any work tonight"), I decided to hop a bus and go into town to check out the lights on Regent and Oxford streets and to stop in at Topshop and Liberty* as well.

Five minutes later, the bus made its way through the backstreets of Camden Town. Turning off of Bayham Street, I noticed one of those spotlight machines on the corner. "
Must be some sad club night at Koko," I thought. There was a large line-up though, so it must have been a show. When the bus passed, I noticed there were camera tripods set up as well. "Well, there must be somebody coming to the show..."

I thought for a second about stopping to see who it was, but honestly, it was more than likely Westlife or some C-list British celebrity I'd never heard of, and I'd be out in the cold for nothing. The bus, on the other hand, was warm and I wasn't entirely sure when the shops would close, so I stayed on. The stores weren't open as late as I thought/had hoped, but I did get some nice shopping in at Topshop and M&S. Then I got some sweets and went window shopping a la Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's, soaking in the amazing displays on at Liberty.


This morning: Alarm goes off.

"And here's the latest single from someone who played Koko last night for the first time in twenty years. Here's...
.......................................

..........................................................

................................................
(wait for it).................

................................................


Madonna
."



I missed seeing Madonna.

I was within walking distance of Madonna - and I decided to go downtown instead.

I passed the venue where Madonna was to play - and decided to stay on the bus.

I missed Madonna.

To see some ruddy Christmas lights and crap in windows I can't afford.

There are very few people for whom I would hang about a club on a cold night just to get a good view of them coming into the club. One of those people is Madonna.

I 'just happened' to miss Madonna.


I love this city.



*the newest santuary - seriously, Amanda, how did you not love Liberty? I want to live at Liberty's, it's such a lovely little world there!

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM , Blogger Samantha said...

Hi there,
We're staying at PAX and found your blog when we tried to sign in. Neat Blog!

 
At 4:24 PM , Blogger Aleksandra said...

I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to get home to Vancouver so I can go out dancing!

Very few people I've met here are the dancing types, and then every time we do make plans, something goes terribly wrong and we end up at some horrible techno night - or worse yet, Cheers....

p.s. - thank you, lastiel! Hope you're enjoying your time here in London!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home