Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Ultimate Gig Challenge - Update I

So in a moment of completely insane whimsy, I decided to make it a goal to see (in three months) a gig at each of the London venues I've always heard about.

Yes, I agree, this is one ill-advised quest. London is the 3rd most expensive city in the world, I don't have all that much saved up, and I am working for practically free when I'm here (though more than anticipated - HR Lorraine is forgiven). But hey, obssessions are not meant to be reasonable, and most of you know that seeing gigs and cool new venues will mean more to me than shelling out cash for the Tower of London. Or Lion King the Musical. Or food. Whatevs.

So, update:
Already seen: Keren Ann at Bush Hall
Have tickets to: Franz Ferdinand at Alexandra Palace, The Go! Team at the Astoria, and Goldfrapp at Brixton Academy.

But the holy grail was a ticket to the long-sold-out Belle and Sebastian concert at the Barbican. They're performing my favourite B&S album, If You're Feeling Sinister, in its entirety. I had been chasing down tickets on three different sites for weeks. I learned about 'sniper' websites. I was growing more and more discouraged by the prices people were commanding for tickets, and finding it harder to stick to my £45 limit.

Until I got an email 3 days ago - "Congratulations, your £36 bid won the auction for 1 Belle and Sebastian ticket!" Ferris Bueller never had it so lucky.

Picked the ticket up from the sweetest 30-something music geek today - he was just an everyday guy who could no longer go, and was so pleased that I got the ticket. Which made it all the more perfect. (Ewen, you are a lovely man...)

So here it is, top of my bulletin board, in all its glory:
I AM SOOO EXCITED!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home