Sunday, September 11, 2005

To market, to market

Though it incited a bit of delerium last night, my dad's "just stay up until everyone else goes to bed" jet-lag trick seemed to work; by 9:30 this morning, I was ready to take off and check out the Sunday markets.

My favourite market last time we were here in 2002 was definitely Spitalfields, so I was superkeen to go back there. Sad to say, it's gone downhill since then - a little too overhyped, commercial, and expensive now. (And yes, I know how indie-snobby that sounds, but it's true.)

So after breezing through there, I thought I'd walk over to Brick Lane, another market which isn't too far away. Turns out I showed up on the day of the annual Brick Lane Festival, with tons of stalls, performances, art shows, curry shops turning the sidewalk into outdoor cafes, and about a billion people packed onto the lane! (so bustling, I had to take a picture of it...)


I spent most of the day there, but on my way back, I stopped at the flower markets (which were sooo expensive that it looks like my penchant for flowers at my desk may be out of my budget...) and in the Camden horse stall markets (which is a massive maze of incense holders, vintage clothing, handmade furniture, and super-overpriced mimimalist crafty stuff - basically Main St gone mad.) I barely bought anything - which is really all I can afford. All in all, a pretty successful day!

1 Comments:

At 11:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! that's city spice on the left! i loved that place!

i have many fond memories of getting out at liverpool stn, grabbing the cheapest wine possible at marks & spencer to accompany dinner, then haggling with the manager of city spice to get some sort of deal (usually to little effect)

ah, so envious...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home