Saturday, September 17, 2005

London Venue/Gig Review I - Keren Ann

Tip: If you ever feel like seeing a show at London's Bush Hall, just show up to the venue and say you bought your ticket online the night before and that's why you're not on the list - they'll let you in no problem.

Too bad I'd already bought tickets for the Keren Ann gig, but I can't complain because I was accompanied by the long-lost Jocelyn! Yes, we finally got in touch the night before and met up no problem. It was so nice to hear a Canadian accent again - I knew that with all the accents around me, I was starting to pick up weird inflections, and it was making me feel like a poseur. And I have been invited to a birthday party in Brixton on Saturday night, so the social calendar is finally beginning!

So. London Venue #1: Bush Hall is essentially a big old room with fancy interiors and nice chandeliers - the shabby chic equivalent of a music venue. There are only a few tables near the front; otherwise, you're left to sit on the carpet. It's slightly bigger than the Media Club, but far more charming. A good venue for anything intimate or low-key.

The gig itself was good, Keren and her band were having a good time, you could tell. The crowd was excellent - they were attentive all the way to the back of the room, even for the opening act. A far cry from Vancouver's crowd. My only gripe was that she didn't sing enough of her French stuff, which, in my opinion, is vastly superior to her English language songs.

(To the left is my sorry attempt to take a photo of the band, which ended up being a great shot of that man's bald head with the band changing instruments in the background. No, I am not quitting my day job....)


"But enough about music and other silly nonsense, what the hell are you doing over in London?? Tell us about your job already!"

Next post, I promise...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home