Monday, July 03, 2006

Tales from the Shallow South



So May zoomed by superduper fast, without many moments offering particular insight. It was, however, bookended by two great trips down to Washington for some rock music goodness.


So...another music post it is, then!


The first trip down was to see my beloved Goldfrapp at the Showbox in Seattle. I've decided that the Showbox is one of my favourite venues - gorgeous architecture, cheap beer, and a photo booth! Plus, the Green Room downstairs is a great place to hang out with fantastically fun friends over a few Pabst Blue Ribbons.

The audience, on the other hand, did not live up to its venue at all. I mean, there was no way they would be as much fun as James and
Marisol and me, but I have been consistently di
sappointed with Goldfrapp audiences each time I've seen them. Make no mistake, I am most definitely not looking to be elitist - there is no fun in being a bigger fan than others, that's not what I'm on about. What I am on about is that these losers don't dance during the disco-inducing tracks and then they gab on loudly during the amazing vocal showpieces...why the heck did you bother to come out, then?

Note to Goldfrapp Audiences: Shut Up and Dance.





The end of May saw me down at the Gorge for the big 5-year anniversary of the Sasquatch festival. This was the first time Sasquatch ran 3 days - I was certainly exc
ited for the crazy awesome lineup, but having been to Glastonbury (the queen of all music festivals), I didn't really expect to really feel the "festival vibe" at Sasquatch.

Well, just as the lame-ass Goldfrapp audience took away from that show, the crowd was the best part of the festival for me. Many will point to the hailstorm on Saturday as the big rallying point for Sasquatchers, but I felt the group comeraderie all the way back to the mainstage soundcheck Saturday morning. People weren't there to "be wowed", they were just in a mood to have a good time and check stuff out.

And dance! Top moment of the weekend: the super-random 40-person "impromptu dance party" during Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Unreplicable moments like that one are why I go to live shows.



Anyhoo, it's been awhile now since Memorial Day Long Weekend, I'm sure you've already heard about how great Architecture in Helsinki, the Arctic Monkeys, and the Decemberists were so I won't bother you with details. But I will share...



Aleksandra's Top 5 Favourites of Sasquatch 2006:
1) The Clap Your Hands Say Yeah Dance Party. What rock n roll shows should be.
2) Beck. HELL YES! Holy crap, that was wicked, I don't think I have danced that balls-to-the-wall in forever, Jamie and I were on fire! Lots of great old stuff, it almost made me forget how badly Midnight Vultures got the shaft that night (almost). If only Erin were there, it would have been perfect...
3) Jamie Lidell. Amazing. If you get the chance to see him, do. He's like Alex Gopher, Kid Koala and Stevie Wonder all in one.
4) The Shins. Nothing makes me smile more than Marty Crandall. Except when Marty's making James Mercer smile.
5) Flaming Lips. This was my fourth time seeing the Lips, and it was definitely the pinnacle of the Lips experience. Fans dancing in santa and alien costumes, the massive Bohemian Rhapsody singalong, the nun puppet, the flahslights, the bubble, the confetti, the Wayne...

In other May news: I came home from Sasquatch to hear that the Jeffrey Ellis case didn't need me in court after all. So after 18 months of forms, letters, flight changes, and phone calls, that was the anti-climactic end to that story. "Whatevs," I thought as my head hit my pillow for a much-needed rest.

1 Comments:

At 7:20 PM , Blogger Erin OK said...

you are good at this blog thing. this is good literature.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home