Sunday, May 07, 2006

Destiny Calling

It was Sean who introduced me to the beautiful game, something for which I'll always be grateful. And since he was an avid Liverpool supporter, by default I ended up one as well. Which seemed fine at the time. But when we split, I couldn't help from feeling that I had just been complacent and decided that perhaps I should make my own objective choice as to which team to support from here on in. (Before I complacently ended up cheering for Chelsea....)

Plenty of nights were spent in smoky London clubs checking out this side and that side.
I courted many hopeful teams, I even tried a couple on for size (I watched almost every Charlton match played last fall and I even have a membership with the Arsenal - don't ask...) but all with no firm result - nothing felt like home.

But, like boiled perogies, the truth will always surface.

It was about a month ago, when I silently dreaded either Mike or Pat changing the channel even when the match against West Brom was dull as dirt, that I first heard a little voice say:

You know it's true...


Then taking the time to read about this year's commemoration of the April 15th Hillsborough Disaster, I heard it again:

You know it's true...


Delighting in the decimation of Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final.

You know it's true....

Grinning as they named the fantastic StevieG as PFA Player of the Year.


Yes, yes. I know it's true.

I guess it doesn't really matter in the end how I ended up here. Some things you don't get to choose - where you are born, how you look...or what football team you support.

This Saturday, I will wear red, head to the pub to watch the FA Cup Final, and cheer on probably the best team in the world - my team, Liverpool.

1 Comments:

At 3:01 AM , Blogger Mike said...

"...to the faraway towns..."

*sigh* always sad to see another nice girl led astray, but I'm happy you found peace with your true side.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home