Monday, May 01, 2006

Delta Dream, Part 1

Every once in a while, I get the feeling that I live in a sort of Brigadoon Shangri-La over here in Delta.


Exhibit H: Everything-Goes-Garbage-Week.

Apparently, no other municipality does this. I don't understand why, it's positively brilliant. One week a year when the garbage guys will take away anything. Absolutely anything. Washing Machines. Broken Televisions. Machinery. Sports Equipment.





And Couches, lots of Couches. (But we'll get to that in a bit.)







The best part is the few days before the big day. Treasure Days. You see, it's totally kosher to walk around checking to
see if there's anything on a lawn that you may want. Walking my dog this evening, I saw tons of people casually walking around the neighbourhood, people driving around picking up extra lawn chairs, leftover plywood. It's the best recycling program ever.

Case in point - the photo to the right. I took this picture this morning; by the time I came home today, the oversized teddy and the bikes were gone.

Now, who knows what happened to Teddy.
Maybe he was rescued to another home, maybe some kids took him to the park and stuffed firecrackers in his belly....point is, it doesn't matter - he was going to a stinky landfill anyway, and this way, he managed to spread just a little more joy before meeting his final end.






I owe a lot to EGGW - one of my favourite summers ever was due in part to a couch left out by Pete's neighbour that fit perfectly into Warren's truck.

This castoff brought us endless pleasure as we carted it around
to all our adventures (we were like the bloody Cranberries with that thing).
Summer 1998 was the
summer of yard parties, the summer of causeway bonfires, the summer of The Couch.






How it is that other municipalities have not caught on to the magic of EGGW I'll never know. Another mysterious legend to add to the Delta Dream...

1 Comments:

At 9:51 PM , Blogger Aleksandra said...

Well then, this may explain why you and I are such good Girl Guides....
Law #7: A guide is thrifty.
And nothing's thriftier than finding new uses for hula hoops!

and thanks for keeping my books safe...oh, the secret drawer...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home