Monday, March 20, 2006

Cabin Fever


This, my friends, is a photograph of genius at work.

Well, at least that was the plan.


The last time I spent a couple of days at Panabode in Camp Olave, the weekend was amazing. The lovely locale was a well-spring of inspiration, the xanadu where I finally reconnected with my thesis project. Ideas flowed and flourished and I came home more excited than ever about the value of what I was doing.

So when the first conference contract was finally over, I planned a super-productivity sojourn at Panabode to jumpstart the writing process. Away from internet, television, my stereo, and others to talk to, I'd finally be able to focus on my project. No tiara materials or knitting, just some classic CDs and my brilliant ideas. The perpetual rainstorm outside would only decrease my potential for distraction. Yes, there was no stopping me now - words would appear on the page with such a furor and with such eloquence that my supervisor would read it and weep with pride.

Well, things looked a little more like this:

12pm: finish morning puttering by cleaning breakfast dishes
12:17pm: make snack
12:35pm: make tea
12:38pm: replenish snack
12:51pm: try to remember all the words to Bist Du Bei Mir
1:05pm: spot seals out in the ocean
1:06pm: continue to watch seals for 30 minutes
(you can't see them in the photo, but they're there!)
1:37pm: make more tea
1:48pm: decide on Radiohead's The Bends
1:49pm: make lunch
2:12pm: wonder if the direct power of The Bends might just make it the best Radiohead CD after all....
2:13pm: remember I brought OK Computer along as well...

2:14pm: start The Bends all over again and actively listen to the whole thing right through
2:59pm: do the same thing with OK Computer
3:50pm: final "ding" of Tourist.
3:52pm: Decide that no, OK Computer is still the best Radiohead CD (it is musically more mature, more innovative, and has more 'moments' overall)
4:09pm: The sky has cleared up! I think a little air might help focus me...
4:45pm: return from beach photo shoot #1 (of 3)
4:46pm: time for more tea!

And so it went. The mind was constantly turning, but seldom in the proper direction.

Was it a total loss, though? Certainly not. But if there Time Frittering was an Olympic sport, I would be on the top of that podium.

And now, your moment of Zen.


Listen: Goldfrapp - Deer Stop (live at Somerset House)

1 Comments:

At 11:43 AM , Blogger Quinn said...

ok.. clearly Kid A is the best Radiohead CD ever...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home