Tuesday, November 02, 2010

My Big African Birthday

My 31st birthday will be one for the books - my big African birthday (as you can see, I decided to dress for the occassion). It was a busy one - out for lunch, my work party where I had to bring my own cake (??? - Bizarro Durban Strikes Again!), an 'exotic' Chinese birthday dinner with the ExPats, then choir, then a movie with my roommate.
Though 2009/2010 was still a great time of homeyness and friends, my 30th year certainly wasn't what I had expected (I mean, I spent a shocking majority of it unemployed). So how wonderful it felt to turn 31 ridiculously happy with the place I am at in my life right now. Remember that sad bastard entry I posted when I first got here in Durban? Well, I can safely say that I feel I'm exactly where I should be in my life, doing exactly what I should be doing, and that I'm pretty darn good at it, too.

An amazing feeling, and one that has taken me by surprise. So this year's birthday morning song (yes, I still do this) had to be Dog Days Are Over. This year, I'm running fast for my mother, fast for my father, for my children, for my sisters and brothers. Leaving my love and my longing behind. You're right, Florence, I have carried them with me for too long.

Bring on the mandolins, retro beats, and sparkles and let's see what 31 brings me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home