Monday, October 11, 2010

Trash and Transit or How I Spent My Thanksgiving by Aleksandra Brzozowski

Anyone else notice the strange part of this photograph?
Ten Points for those who managed to recognize me on a bike!

Y'all know I am NOT the critical mass type. But some things are bigger than me. Like Durban's ridiculously car-centric roads lacking any hint of decent alternatives. There are virtually no buses, forcing people to ride in dodgy minivans or precariously crossing major highways. And needless to say, there are no bike lanes. Biking as a mode of transportation is strangely overlooked in SA, even though it would serve as a remarkably viable and affordable option for many people in Durban.
SO UNSAFE!!!

But new pal Gabby the Activista is on a one-woman mission to change all that. She runs a bike program where disadvantaged kids get to keep the bike she teaches them to build from parts of old Dutch pedal-brake bicycles. And October 10th (our thanksgiving, as the calendar would have it) was 350.org's big "do something" day, so she put on a Critical Mass bike ride and park clean-up. A bright sunny day, it was tons of fun.

The kids from Gabby's program (see stressed Gabby in the back ground!)

The super duper clean up posse!

Oh, and how did I do on the bicycle? Well, it was my first bike since James' 30th camping trip, and 5 minutes from the end of the ride bailed on the exact same spot in my knee.

But it still didn't stop me from going biking along the beachfront with friends after the event - look what Durban is doing to me!!!!














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home