Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Layover in London aka Aleks FAIL #1

So my mum, in all her sweetness, put me up in the swank Sofitel on Friday night because she didn't want me flying 28 hours straight. Under one stipulation, however: I could not leave the Heathrow airport area. So despite the fact it was a Bank Holiday and there were *nine* closures on the Underground, Mandy came all the way out to LHR to see me. (That's love.)

Understandably, though, she was late so I had to kill time in the tea salon. While waiting for my soup, I overheard some business traveller guys chatting about what Liverpool player was needed to help Torres. I couldn't help myself from listening in on their conversation so I thought it only fair to tell them I was listening....

"Oh, you a Liverpool fan?"
"I'd say so."
"Hmmm. What do you think?"
"I don't know... I think Joe Cole was a clever signing, he has something to prove..."
"............."
"but we still need someone to replace Xabi Alonso's style in the midfield...."
".......yeah............."

Not the casual time-killing sports banter I'd been expecting. So back I went to my paper. One of the men took a phone call while the other two started talking about whether or not some transfer story was a rumour. Guy One gets off the phone, starts talking about a contract.

These men weren't just playing Let's Pretend We Could Buy and Sell Football Players. THESE MEN WERE ACTUALLY BUYING AND SELLING FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

On the plus side, I now know exactly how Liverpool are going to be the richest club in England if they can manage to build the new stadium the clever way....
Anyway, it was FANTASTIC to see Miss Murdoch during my layover. FACT. Here's hoping both of us rock our respective cities that seem to quietly have it in for us.... At the very least, our trials will make for good stories over tea.
Mandy: srsly, Durbs isn't that far from LDN - it's the same time zone, for crying out loud. Come visit!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home